Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Historic Williamsburg




Right, so ages ago Kelly and I went to Historical Williamsburg-- and I totally forgot to post it. Anyway, Historic Williamsburg is a collection of restored houses (since during the Revolution it was essentially burnt to the ground) and it's near the college of Williams and Mary. Anyways, I just picked the best looking pics, so no, I did NOT exclusively visit the graveyard (they just came out best on my phone). I just wanted to show the real cool detail on the carvings on the graves and how some of them were just out on the pavement.

Anyway, the first few are all of the "Historical" Williamsburg, which is just mostly shops they have guesstimated look as such, and are run by modern businesses, such as Barnes and Noble and Bella's Lingerie (O.O I know....) I also got to play with the color effects setting on my phone....







After hanging out in the graveyard for a while, we went to hang out in one of the more "historic" areas, where they actually made all the employees wear costumes and go around on horses and stuff. There's also a picture of the man we stalked with our cell phones (he kept going by on his horse before we could get a good picture). Poor guy probably gets that a lot. And then, we were distracted from our mission: get pic of horseman by a lamb! He was soooo cute! My phone wouldn't take a picture of the other sheep farther back in the shade, and Kelly refused no matter how much teasing the lamb was going to get from the other sheep if we didn't take theirs too-- so this is the best I could do.


Anyway, after our sheep argument, we happened upon the carriages you could hire to take you areound the place, and I got to pet a horse! ^^ They were nice, big, tourist-desensistized, apathetic-looking, ginormous horses. The best kind!




Kaylee had a blast. At first she was all fussy since she'd missed maybe.... two naps by this point, but by this point, Kelly and I needed to rest. So we sat down at this little bench spot where there was gravel instead of pavement. Kaylee fussed for ten minutes to get put down and let her crawl until finally Kelly declared, "You want to stand on gravel barefoot? Fine!" Kaylee felt her feet touch down and started grinning, and didn't want to be pulled back up.



After that, we mostly went around looking at all the restored houses. Most had just had the foundations dug up and matched to blueprints and such. Now, let me tell you-- it was freaking hot that day. Our sweat was sweating. So by this time, I was not so enthusiasitc about picture taking.




It was really cool though, they had the original cobblestone! It was jammed between the newly paved road and the grass, but you could actually walk on the original stones laid for the road. My archeological soul nearly exploded at this point.

Also, didn't I mention? All of Virginia is forest-- it lines the roads, everywhere! We've lived across from a lake for like, a month, before I knew about it, and that was when Kelly pointed out the glimmer of water between the trees. This is a picture of on the way to Historical Williamsburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment